Baked Onion Rings – Paleo, Gluten Free, Vegan
Since I don’t eat french fries or anything fried for that matter, I rarely get the chance to use my beloved KETCHUP!! I was dying to make something pretty much just so I could use ketchup but it needed to be healthy.
My latest recipe that involved breading was a paleo thai curry coconut shrimp and it turned out perfect. I was very happy with the technique and finished product so I thought I could incorporate it into making onion rings.
I sliced up the onion, dipped it in the whisked egg whites and with a fork, put the ring in the spice mixture covering the onion completely then using the same fork transferred the ring to the shredded coconut covering it completely then transferred to the baking sheets. (Sorry for the run on sentence).
I couldn’t believe how many rings I got out of just one onion. One onion would serve 4 people easily. I added some spice and seasoning for added flavor since the coconut flour and shredded coconut really don’t have much. If you don’t like any spice, just omit the cayenne. If you like a LOT of spice, add more. The amount i used was a nice medium heat which went really good with the tangy KETCHUP!!!
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion cut into rings
- ¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 4 egg whites (whisked until frothy)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne
- 1½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- dash of salt/pepper
- Preheat oven to 425
- Line a couple of baking sheets with parchment paper or foil
- Set up 4 bowls, 1 for the sliced onions, 1 for the frothy egg whites, 1 for the spice mixture (coconut flour, cayenne and Italian seasoning - mix with fork until everything is combined) and 1 for the unsweetened shredded coconut.
- Dip onion in egg white, completely covering then transfer to spice mixture. Using a fork, completely cover the onion with the spice mixture then with the same fork transfer to the shredded coconut and completely cover.
- Put coated onion ring on baking sheet and repeat for the rest of your onion rings.
- Bake for 17 minutes.
- Dip in some delicious ketchup and enjoy.