Butternut Squash Coconut Curry Soup with Red Lentils – Vegan, Gluten Free
Most likely you are very cold right now since it’s been a brutal winter in the Midwest and East Coast. I’m in sunny warm Arizona enjoying my first ever warm winter season so I pretty much feel like I won the lottery at this point. What better way to celebrate than making soup? Ok, I’m slightly lame but here’s is yummy soup anyway.
I love every single flavor of this soup. I love all of these flavors separately but when combined are rich, creamy and really hearty. Plus it’s vegan and gluten free.
This soup is super fast and easy, freezes and reheats really well. First saute your veggies for a few minutes…
I used to be apprehensive about cutting squash. I used to worry I’d lose a digit or worse. I looked up some videos on youtube.com and picked up some great tips and tricks. Here’s a video for cutting a butternut squash that was super helpful. The second part of the video is where she shows how to peel it. Easy peazy, I’m a pro now.
- *** I ALWAYS RECOMMEND ORGANICS WHENEVER AVAILABLE ***
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- ½ cup red lentils or ¾ cup for a thicker soup
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 can reduced-fat coconut milk
- **Optional: shredded coconut for garnish**
- Heat olive oil on medium/high heat in a large saucepan and add squash and carrots. Let sear for a couple of minutes, stir and let sear again for a couple of minutes.
- Stir in curry and turmeric, cook for a couple of minutes.
- Pour in in lentils, vegetable stock and coconut milk. Stir to combine thoroughly and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and let simmer for 15 - 18 minutes or until everything is tender. Stirring occasionally so the bottom doesn't scorch.
- Using a food processor (I used a Vitamix), puree until as smooth as desired.
- Serve warm. Can garnish with shredded coconut flakes.
- This soup freezes and reheats very well.