Easy Thai Coconut Curry Scallops with Jasmine Rice
A friend recently went to Vegas and was talking up a coconut curry scallop dish they had at the Bellagio. Well then all I could think about was coconut curry scallops so I needed to try out a recipe and see how things went.
I found this recipe on line that had ingredients I could tweak to make it paleo and gluten free. It was unbelievably easy to do. Just a couple of small tweaks is all you need sometimes. Which goes to show that very few recipes can be off limits to you if you just know what to substitute. The taste is the same, just better ingredients,
To make this recipe really easy as far as steps go, I chopped everything I needed first. This took about 10 minutes. It went fast. I put all the ingredients in their own little piles so I’d be ready for them in a snap. This dish cooked up in a little over 30 minutes and you’ll look like a kitchen ninja 🙂
After sauce has been cookin’, add your thawed scallops. Cook scallops about 3 minutes on each side. To test doneness, cut one open and make sure it’s white, not opaque. You don’t want to overcook the scallops though, they can get rubbery.
I made some jasmine rice to go with the scallops so if you do that, start it as soon as you start chopping the ingredients because the rice takes about 35 minutes. You could also use brown rice or quinoa, whatever floats your boat.
Look at you cookin’ delicious healthy thai food. You friggin’ rock!
- 1 pound large scallops
- ½ cup chopped shallots
- ⅓ cup chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup chopped fresh basil
- 3 large carrots cut into matchsticks
- 2 large limes
- 2 Tablespoons minced or grated peeled fresh ginger
- 2 Tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon coconut oil
- 4 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 2 teaspoons chili garlic sauce (I used sriracha)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- pinch salt and pepper
- Optional: ¼ cup chopped peanuts
- Chop all your veggies and herbs first.
- Finely grate zest from one of your limes. Using the remainder of the lime, squeeze 2 Tablespoons. Cut second lime into wedges for garnish.
- Heat coconut oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add chopped shallots, carrots and minced ginger; saute until shallots are tender and carrots soften, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in curry paste, sriracha, coconut milk, fish sauce, lime peel zest and 2 Tablespoons lime juice. Simmer gently, stirring often for about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle scallops with a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides. Add scallops to curry sauce.
- Return heat to a gentle simmer and cook just until scallops are opaque in center, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Gently stir in cilantro and basil.
- Serve over your favorite rice. I used jasmine but you could use brown rice or even quinoa.
- Garnish with sliced limes.
- Optional: sprinkle with chopped peanuts