Crab and Shrimp Stuffed Mushrooms with Bacon and Neufchatel Cheese
When I’m deciding on which recipes to try and make healthier for the week, I usually ask my husband if he’s in the mood for something in particular and use that as my challenge. His request this week was crab and shrimp stuffed mushrooms. I took it from there.
The recipe is very easy. The most important part is baking the mushrooms to draw out a lot of the moisture. You don’t a want big watery mushroom mess on your hands do you? While the mushrooms are baking you can prepare the stuffing part. The stuffing takes place all in one saute pan.
These stuffed mushrooms came out nice and creamy because of the Neufchatel cheese. I love Neufchatel cheese. If you don’t know what it is, think cream cheese. The only real difference that I notice between Neufchatel and Cream Cheese is that Neufchatel is a creamier softer cheese than regular cream cheese. Neufchatel is also slightly lower in calories. Most of the time you can use them interchangeably in recipes.
These make delicious gluten free appetizers. Because they have a good amount of protein, I ate 4 or 5 with a side salad and made a meal out of them. Oh and the most important part, my hubby loved them. Score!
You can use the “stuffing” all by itself too as a crab/shrimp dip. Serve it with some homemade pita chips and you’ve got a great little party dip.
- 20 - 30 white mushrooms, stems removed
- 3 Tablespoons ghee (can sub with coconut oil)
- 1½ teaspoons seafood seasoning
- ½ yellow onion, diced small
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 5 slices bacon, diced
- 3 - 4 ounces of Neufchatel cheese or a little under a half package.
- 4 ounces or half a can real jumbo lump crab meat
- 4 ounces or half a can tiny shrimp
- Dash of salt/pepper
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Line a baking sheet with foil.
- Spread mushroom caps on baking sheet, stem side down.
- Melt a tablespoon of ghee and brush mushrooms with melted oil.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, turn mushrooms over and bake for another 5 minutes.
- Once mushrooms are cooked, using a papertowl, press on each mushroom to soak up the water that has been drawn out. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet melt 1 Tablespoon of ghee and add bacon. Cook on medium for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Add onions to bacon, saute for 5 minutes or until translucent and bacon is thoroughly cooked.
- Add spinach to mixture, saute until wilted.
- Add the last tablespoon of ghee.
- Add crab, shrimp, seafood seasoning and dash of salt/pepper, combine and saute for 3 - 4 minutes.
- Add Neufchatel and stir slowly to encourage the cheese to melt into the mixture. Once it's completely melted and combined with everything else remove from heat.
- Spoon about a teaspoon of crab/shrimp mixture into each mushroom cap and pop back in the oven for 3-5 minutes. Serve warm.
- These reheat nicely too. I microwaved 4 or 5 of them for about 25 seconds.
- You could make them ahead of time but no more than 12 hours ahead.