Easy Slow Cooker Couscous Soup – Vegetarian
So I hear that it’s gloomy and cold in my hometown in the suburbs of Chicago but it sure doesn’t seem like it here in sunny Arizona where it was 81 degrees 2 days ago. On November 9th, it’s sunny and 81!! Unheard of. At least for me because I’ve lived in Illinois the majority of my adulthood.
But my internal clock tells me it’s yummy cozy slow cooker soup season for sure. I found this recipe and my mouth started watering. I loved the simple ingredients and the fact that it included couscous which makes me feel like I’m being bad and eating pasta but couscous actually has protein and fiber in it. So I’m not being super bad by eating pasta but also not being super awesome by eating quinoa, couscous is somewhere in the middle for me.
This recipe came together so fast and easy and unlike other crock pot recipes that take 4 – 6 hours, this one only takes about 2 hours on low. A nice, easy, healthy, warm and cozy vegetarian soup just like that. And it freezes really good too.
If you really like carrots, add more carrots, if you like more green red orange or yellow bell peppers then add more. The recipe is so simple that you can easily customize it to your particular taste.
You can decide how much seasoning you prefer too. I like a little kick to my recipes so I added a 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne and it was perfect for me. But at the very least, the salt, pepper and oregano give a great flavor and mix really good with the flavor of the fire roasted tomatoes.
I love having a good soup in the fridge ready to heat up. This recipe makes A LOT. I had to use my 6 quart slow cooker. But it’s so good and hearty, not to mention nutritious that the hubby and I go through it really fast. None goes to waste, that’s for sure.
- 1 cup Israeli or Pearl Couscous, NOT cooked
- 48 ounces (6 cups) organic vegetable broth
- 2 cans (15 oz. each) organic red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14.5 to 15 ounce can) organic diced tomatoes (I used fire roasted diced tomatoes)
- 1 cup organic carrots, finely chopped
- 1 organic bell pepper, finely chopped. (I used red but use whichever is your favorite)
- 1 organic onion, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon butter (grass fed or ghee)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Optional: ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper if you like a little more zing
- Heat butter in skillet and add onions, carrots and bell pepper.
- Continue sauteing until the onions become translucent (about 10 minutes).
- Add all other ingredients to the crock pot and when the vegetables are done sauteing, add them too. Stir.
- Set slow cooker on low for 2 hours. After 2 hours, check to see if the couscous is tender. If so, stir and turn off but let soup sit for another 30 minutes before serving.
- Eat and be warm and cozy.