Low Fat Chicken, Quinoa and Veggie Soup
I mentioned in another recipe that my husband and I are in the process of packing up our house and moving from Illinois to Arizona in the next several weeks so I needed a super easy, hearty meal that would leave me with a good amount of leftovers so I could skip cooking for a day or two.
Behold Low Fat Chicken, Quinoa and Veggie Soup! I had a pound of chicken breast and veggies in the fridge because we had just hit the market the other day. I gathered my favorites, added some quinoa and garbanzo bean for even more of a protein punch. Lean protein and veggies was just what I needed.
- 1 lb chicken breast, cubed into 1 inch pieces
- 32 ounces chicken broth (use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 small sweet potato, cubed small
- ½ cup dry quinoa (rinse if your brand isn't pre-rinsed)
- 1 can garbanzo beans
- ½ cup sliced carrots
- ½ yellow onion, diced small
- ½ cup shitake mushrooms, diced
- 1 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp paprika
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- dash salt/pepper
- Use at least a 4 quart slow cooker.
- Place cubed chicken and sweet potato in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Add everything else on top of the chicken and sweet potato, spices last.
- Stir to combine everything but try to keep the chicken sweet potato towards the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- If the quinoa soaks up too much of the liquid, just add a cup or so of water, depending on how thick you like your soup.