Homemade Mini Bread and Butter Pickles
Bread and butter pickles are my most favorite of all pickles except for sweet gherkins. Regardless, I like a sweet pickle. So when I saw mini-cucumbers at the grocery store the other day I wanted to try my hand at making my own bread and butter pickles.
I never realized how easy it was to make your own pickles or to pickle any vegetable for that matter. The only thing that I wasn’t super thrilled with was that this recipe required a cup of sugar. I hardly ever consume white sugar so considering I wasn’t going to be eating the whole cup at one time and I used organic sugar, I allowed myself to be ok with it this time.
So I got out my handy dandy little wavy veggie slicer and cut up my teeny tiny cucs into cute little wavey slices. Put them in a dish and sprinkled them with salt, covered them and put them in the fridge for about an hour and a half.
After an hour and a half or so I rinsed the salt off of the cucumbers with cold water and drained. Then combined the onions and cucumbers and put aside while I made the hot vinegar mixture to pour over everything.
Luckily my hoarding of big jars with lids came in handy and I didn’t have to purchase a special one just for my pickles. I ended up using 2 jars but that’s cool because now I have a jar of pickles to give to my mom.
BONUS: Chop these little babies up and you’ve got homemade sweet relish.
- 3 cups thinly sliced mini cucumbers
- 1½ tablespoons sea salt
- ½ of a thinly sliced sweet onion
- 1 cup organic granulated sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoon mustard seeds
- ½ teaspoon celery seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon ground turmeric
- Wash and slice mini cucumbers thin. I sliced mine about a ½ of an inch thick.
- Place cucs in a shallow pan and sprinkle with the salt. Mix with your hands to get the cucs and salt combined well.
- Cover and place in fridge for an hour and a half.
- Remove from fridge, in a colander rinse cucs with cold water and drain.
- In a bowl, toss sliced onions and cucs, set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine white vinegar, apple cider vinegar, granulated sugar, brown sugar, mustard seeds, celery seeds, tumeric and bring to a simmer. Stirring until sugar is dissolved completely.
- Place cucs/onions in jar of choice and pour hot vinegar mixture over them.
- Let sit on the counter for an hour.
- Cover and place in fridge for 24 hours.
- Ta-da, you made bread and butter mini pickles.