Honey Chipotle Chicken Meatballs – Paleo and Gluten Free
I have to admit, I was skeptical when I saw the original recipe for turkey meatballs on MarthaStewart.com because the recipe didn’t call for any breading to bind the meatballs together.
I made some minor changes, used organic ground chicken and bam, it worked. It really worked. You just have to be a little gentle. I recommend reading the whole recipe through before starting.
Next time I make these, Ill be doubling the recipe because at this point, I don’t want to share any more of them. I’m seriously considering hiding the rest of them in the veggie crisper so the hubby won’t find them. I’m a greedy rabbit. I’ll eat these as a meal or as a quick protein snack on the go.
- 1 pound organic ground chicken
- ½ yellow onion, diced small
- 4 Tablespoons raw honey
- 2 Tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 - 2 Tablespoon adobo sauce (can sub with sriracha sauce)
- 4 teaspoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chipotle flakes seasoning
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (I used the kind from a jar)
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 375. Either use a cast iron skillet that goes from stove top to oven or foil line a baking dish.
- In a large bowl combine ground chicken, onions, garlic, salt and pepper. Use your hands to combine everything together.
- Form into balls, set aside. This recipe yielded 16 balls for me.
- In a small bowl, whisk together raw honey, vinegar, adobe sauce and chipotle seasoning. The raw honey will liquefy after a minute or so, just keep stirring.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet on medium/high. (I used a cast iron skillet so I could use it on the stove top and move it directly to the oven but you could use regular skillet, just add another ½ Tablespoon of olive oil at a time to make sure the meatballs don't burn if not using a cast iron skillet).
- Once the oil is heated, place meatballs in pan and cook until they are browned all over. I cooked them on one side for about 6 minutes then using tongs, CAREFULLY flipped them over and cooked for another 6 minutes.
- After browning the meatballs, place them in your foil lined baking dish and bake for 5 minutes.
- Remove from oven and pour honey glaze over the top, coating each meatball.
- Bake for 4 minutes, flip, spoon liquid over meatballs and bake for another 4.
- Serve and hide the leftovers from everyone :)