Keto/Low Carb Asian Ground Chicken Lettuce Wraps
I had some organic ground chicken so I went browsing and found this awesome PF Chang-like Paleo Lettuce Wrap recipe at CaveGirlCuisine.net. I normally will find a recipe that inspires me to recreate a healthier version but this recipe needed very little change at all. The only edit I made was that I used cooking sherry instead of white wine vinegar, otherwise everything was the same.
I was so impressed at how fast this meal came together. No complicated instructions, uses just 1 pan and you only have to dice up a few things. Easy peazy lemon squeezy right?
i’m a sucker for anything that can be used in a lettuce wrap. I found this non-gmo living butter lettuce at my local grocer a while ago and fell in love. They last forever because it’s live and I use them to make blt’s or tuna “sammiches”, etc. I don’t eat bread but who needs to with these little convenient lettuce cups?
This recipe yielded 10 – 11 lettuce wraps so we had leftovers since it’s just the hubby and I. Just keep the chicken mixture in the fridge in a covered bowl and reheat as needed. It reheats really good. Throw a few slivered almonds and green onions to garnish if you want to get all fancy 🙂
A second round of these has already been requested. I’m going to try them with organic ground turkey next. I’m confident they will be just as good, just a little less fat which isn’t a bad thing. Enjoy.
- 10 butter lettuce cups
- 1 lb. ground chicken
- 5 ounces shiitake mushrooms, finely diced
- ⅓ cup scallions, chopped (the white part, reserve the green part for garnish)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced OR 3 teaspoons already minced from a jar
- 1 Tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 3 Tablespoons coconut aminos (can sub with soy sauce but then it wouldn't be paleo)
- 1 Tablespoon cooking sherry OR white wine vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Scriracha hot sauce
- 1 Tablespoon monk fruit or swerve
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium/large skillet heat sesame oil and add ground chicken. Cook until almost done. You will be cooking it longer when the other ingredients are added so you don't want to overcook it in the beginning.
- Add mushrooms, scallion, ginger and coconut aminos. Cook until scallions and mushrooms are softer.
- Stir in garlic, almonds, sherry, mustard, Scriracha, monk fruit and salt. Cook off most of the liquid over medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Spoon mixture into lettuce cups, top with slivered almonds or the green parts of the scallions as a garnish.