Miso Marinated Cod with Baby Bok Choy and Shiitake Mushrooms – Gluten Free
I love that the cod has an amazing flavor from the marinade and equally delicious is the bok choy and mushrooms. They were flavored with a little garlic and sesame oil. Individually, both pieces to this recipe are delicious on their own but when paired, it’s was like a party in my mouth 🙂
I marinaded the cod overnight in a freezer bag, I think any less wouldn’t infuse all the flavor. So buy fresh cod and marinade overnight. The next day you will have a super delicious, healthy meal ready in 20 minutes. Yeah that’s right, 20 minutes!
After baking the cod for about 10 minutes I turned the oven to broil and broiled the cod for 2 to 3 minutes to give the top a nice crispiness. Serve cod on a bed of bok choy and mushrooms and give yourself a pat on the back cause that shiz is damn good!
- 1 - 1½ lbs fresh cod fillets
- ½ cup miso broth
- ½ cup mirin
- ⅓ cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon oil (olive or coconut)
- 1 lb baby boy choy (stems sliced in ¼ inch pieces, reserve leaves)
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms (sliced, stems discarded)
- ¼ cup miso broth
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon coconut aminos (can sub with soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Combine marinade ingredients and whisk until brown sugar is dissolved.
- Place cod fillets in a large freezer bag and pour ¾ths of the marinade over it. Reserving a ¼th of the marinade to top cod after cooked. Refrigerate the reserved marinade separately.
- Place in fridge overnight or longer (up to 2 days). At the very least, start the marinade first thing in the morning and cook for dinner.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place cod on a greased baking sheet (I sprayed mine with coconut oil)
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes. Check at 10 minutes to see if the fish is flakey and done. If not, put in for another 2 minutes.
- Take cod out and turn oven up to broil and broil for 2 - 3 minutes until the tops have turned a golden brown. Watch carefully so not to burn it
- While your cod is baking, saute your veggies.
- Heat oil on medium high heat in large pan and add bok choy and mushrooms.
- Saute veggies for 4 - 5 minutes until they start to soften.
- Add garlic and continue sauteing for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add bok choy leaves, miso broth, coconut aminos and simmer until leaves have wilted (2 to 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and mix in sesame oil.
- Serve warm cod on a bed of your veggies and top with reserved marinade.