My Oil Pulling Experience
I’ve been hearing about the benefits of oil pulling for the past several months. I figured one day I’d get around to checking it out and seeing what all the fuss was about.
I had seen the list of benefits but didn’t know anyone personally that had done it yet. Then my yoga instructor Becki mentioned that she had been oil pulling and loved it and encouraged her friends to give it a try. Since I respect and look up to her, I decided to bite the bullet and go for it. Plus I had a toothache and have a horrible phobia of the dentist so if it could prevent me from having to go, I was in.
Oil pulling is a traditional Ayurvedic technique to detoxify the body. Traditionally, sunflower/sesame oil is used but more and more people are finding the same beneficial results with organic coconut oil (I use organic refined coconut oil).
Before I go into my personal experience, here is a long list of what the alleged benefits of oil pulling are:
- Brighter, whiter teeth
- Prevention of diseases of the gums and mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis
- Prevents bad breath
- Overall strengthening of the teeth and gums and jaw
- Prevention of dryness of the lips, mouth and throat
- Increased energy
- Clearer mind
- Decreased headaches and headache relief
- Clearer sinuses
- Alleviated allergies
- Better sleep
- Clearer skin
- Regulated menstrual cycles
- Improved lymphatic system
- Improved PMS symptoms by correcting hormone imbalances
- Reducing inflammation of arthritis
- May help with gastro-enteritis
- Aids in the reduction of eczema
- May reduce symptoms of bronchitis
- Helps support normal kidney function
- Helps detoxify the body of harmful metals and organisms
Sounds pretty unbelievable doesn’t it? I have to admit that I was skeptical but since I use several other homeopathic things on a regular basis and have had positive/effective experiences, why not try this. I use coconut oil for a zillion other reasons so what’s one more.
- When you wake up, before drinking water or eating, brushing teeth or anything, take about 1 tablespoon of oil into your mouth.
- Swish it around in your mouth pulling it in and out of your teeth like you would with mouthwash for 20 minutes, no more no less. Do not swallow the oil as it will be loaded with toxins and bacteria.
- After 20 minutes, spit the oil into the garbage can. It will be milky white. It’s important not to spit it out into the sink because the oil can solidify and end up clogging your pipes.
- Rinse mouth with warm salt water to remove more of the toxin containing oil. You can spit this into the sink.
- Brush your teeth and go about your day. All done.
DAY 1 – I scooped a tablespoon full of coconut oil (mine was in a solid state) and chewed it for a few seconds in my mouth. The heat of my mouth quickly melted it into a liquid form.
I swished the oil around in my mouth, pulling and pushing it in between my teeth for a full 20 minutes while I went about my normal morning routine like making the bed, doing the dishes, setting up my laptop for the day, etc. It was a little strange not to be able to speak to my cats at all, I could only moan and hum at them. Not speaking for the 20 minutes ended up being almost meditative.
After pulling for exactly 20 minutes, no more no less, I spit the coconut oil into the kitchen garbage can. What I spit out was milky foamy white just like others said it would be.
After spitting the oil into the garbage, I rinsed with warm salt water to remove the excess then I brushed my teeth as I normally would.
Within the next hour after pulling, I sneezed no less than 15 times within about 20 minutes. I ended up having to blow my nose a few times because my sinuses were draining a lot. Once I did, that was it, no more draining for the rest of the day.
I don’t know if it was my imagination or a placebo affect but I had so much energy all day. But by the end of the day I really wasn’t feeling that great. I almost felt like I was catching a cold. Now I know that it was the toxins in my body surfacing due to being pulled by the oil.
Coincidentally I did have a toothache prior to starting my oil pulling experiment and the tooth pain did not subside after one day of pulling.
I still went to yoga class despite not feeling my best and afterwards I felt awesome. I no longer felt ill like I did earlier. I slept really good but then I usually do after yoga.
DAY 2 – The 20 minutes really goes fast, I even showered while pulling. After swishing the coconut oil and spitting it out I do a final rinse of warm salt water then brush my teeth. I did have another sneezing fit about an hour after pulling and my sinuses drained again.
I had an incredible amount of energy and my tooth pain was slightly improved. I got so much done today and was still going strong at 11 pm.
DAY 3 – Woke up with a headache and a little heartburn. I’ve heard that because the oil pulling draws toxins from the body that some people may experience headaches when they first start oil pulling. I don’t know if it’s a coincidence but I rarely, very rarely headaches.
Had another sneezing fit about 45 minutes after pulling, sinuses drained but a little less than the days before. Still had tons of energy.
DAY 4 – Woke up headache free. Only 2 sneezes today. I’ve heard that oil pulling is supposed to help with allergies and I think they might be right. All the sneezing is actually clearing out my sinuses. My tooth is as pain free as it has been all week, bonus. Loads of energy too.
DAY 5 – More of the same. Woke up headache free. Sneezed a few times, drained the sinuses. Tooth is feeling great still, can barely feel it. Loads of energy.
DAY 6 – More of the same. Today my tooth is completely pain free. I never would’ve thought it possible. I’m loving all the energy.
DAY 7 – Mouth feels healthier, no more tooth pain, sinuses are clear, I have tons of energy, no headaches and sleep more sound.
CONCLUSION OF MY WEEK OF OIL PULLING
After my first initial headache and sneezing, all other side effects have been super positive.
- Mouth health is improved. Toothache is completely gone and its actually been 4 weeks since I started writing about my experience. I’m still oil pulling and my toothache has not returned.
- My teeth are getting whiter and whiter.
- Even morning breath is much improved. I used to get an icky film on my tongue overnight and now when I wake it feels like I just brushed my teeth. No film at all.
- My sinuses are clear as a whistle. I used to blow my nose after a shower but now I don’t even have to do that because the pulling drains my sinuses great.
- My lips aren’t chapped anymore because I rub any excess oil all over my lips while pulling.
- I have so much energy and get so much more done during the day which probably contributes to me sleeping better at night.
I promised myself a full week of faithful pulling and I’m so glad I did. I’ve been oil pulling now for 4 weeks and it has become part of my morning routine.
There is something peaceful about not speaking at all for 20 minutes when I first wake. I’m kooky like that but I find it almost meditative.
Give it a week, you’ve got nothing to lose and lots of benefits to gain