Paleo Coconut Macaroons
When I found this recipe at Empowered Sustenance I was really skeptical about how these macaroons would turn out. I’ve tried other cookie recipes like my Banana Chocolate Chip Cookies and Perfectly Healthy Cookies. While they were good, I’m always on the hunt for better.
I found better! Not just better but BEST! I’m having trouble putting into words how delicious these macaroons are. Lauren at Empowered Sustenance got it right! They are easy, sweet, moist, coconutty and paleo! If you like macaroons, you will LOVE these, paleo or not!
Baked perfectly for 18 minutes for the first batch. I did 17 minutes for the second batch because the oven was really hot and I didn’t want the bottoms to burn.
These are deliciously sweet, moist, coconutty and addictive. There is a subtle banana taste but the majority of the flavor is definitely undeniably coconut. I love that something so delicious is also paleo, vegan and dairy free!
I took this recipe an extra step and dipped a few in a little organic chocolate which does have dairy in it taking them out of the vegan category but the hubby will appreciate it so I just did a few for him. They are perfectly delicious without the chocolate though.
- **This recipe made 2 dozen**
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed until creamy
- 2 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut (I bought it at Whole Foods in the bulk section)
- 4 teaspoons coconut flour
- ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- ¼ cup raw honey or raw maple syrup (I used raw honey)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract, optional but I used it
- ¾ teaspoon cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl mash the ripe bananas with a fork until creamy, try to get all the lumps out.
- Add the raw honey and whisk together.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix well until combined well.
- Form into tablespoon-size balls and place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, until the bottoms look golden brown. Mine were completely done at 18 minutes.
- I reduced the time by a minute for the second batch because the oven was so hot.
- Let cool COMPLETELY until removing from the baking sheet, otherwise they will crumble.
- ***Optional: Once cooled completely, dip bottoms in melted chocolate and put in the fridge to set***
If you like coconut and healthy treats, you have got to try these. They will not disappoint!
Update: Shortly after posting this recipe the hubby came home and immediately tried them. He’s had 6 since then. He like them with AND without the chocolate. Score!