Honey Lime Tilapia Filets – Paleo, Gluten Free
I had some frozen tilapia filets in the freezer and really wanted fish tacos (in lettuce cups of course). This is probably the best tilapia dish I’ve ever made. I wish I had made more because It was so tender and delicious. The hubby is eating it right now and is very happy.
The breading was super easy to make and worked like a charm. I promise, super easy. The easiest paleo, gluten-free breading I’ve made so far. Of course it’s no “kentucky-fried-extra-crispy-fat-laden-grease-filled-heart-attack-waiting-to-happen” breading. It’s the perfect amount of breading. Plus it’s light, paleo and gluten free.
We ate ours in butter lettuce cups sprinkled with sweetened shredded coconut and squirted a lime over the whole thing. Happy mouth, so good.
- 2 tilapia filets (thawed if frozen)
- 2 Tablespoon ghee or coconut oil
- *optional: sweetened shredded coconut
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ Tablespoon raw honey
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup almond flour/meal
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- In a flat baking dish whisk all marinade ingredients together.
- Place tilapia filets in marinade and completely cover. Cover container and put in fridge for at least an hour to 24 hours. I marinated mine overnight.
- When ready to cook the tilapia, prepare breading. Combine all breading ingredients in a flat dish like a pie pan so you can dredge the filet through the mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of ghee or coconut oil in a large skillet.
- Take marinated filet and dredge it through the breading mixture, covering filet completely. Place in skillet. Repeat with other filet.
- Cook tilapia on medium for 4 - 5 minutes then flip carefully and cook for another 4 - 5 minutes.
- The tilapia should be slightly browned and the fish should no longer be opaque.
- Serve with a slice of lime and sprinkle with optional sweetened coconut shreds.