Paleo Chinese Food – Orange Chicken
Yesterday I made Paleo Faux “Fried Rice” that blew my socks off. I actually ate it on and off all day and thankfully remembered to save some to compliment the Orange Chicken I was planning for the next day. The “Fried Rice” leftovers keep and reheat very well thankfully.
The orange chicken recipe has very few ingredients and was super easy to make. In one pan bring orange juice, ginger, sriracha and coconut aminos (can sub with soy sauce if you don’t have coconut aminos) to a simmer and in the other pan brown up the cubed up chicken breasts in some coconut oil.
Once the chicken has been cooked in the coconut oil for about 7 – 8 minutes or until it’s browned up a little bit, with a slotted spoon put chicken in other pan and combine. Simmer chicken in the liquid for 3 – 4 minutes. I served it on top of the Paleo Faux “Fried Rice”, sprinkled with scallions and cured my Chinese food craving. Plus I saved myself about 1000 grams of sodium and 50 fat grams.
Oh and the best part, hubby LOVED it. He took one bite just to taste test and it ended with him making himself a plate and telling me how good it was. He didn’t believe there could be a healthy version of Chinese food that would be delicious. I love proving him wrong <3
- 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cubed into approx 1 inch pieces)
- 3 Tablespoons coconut oil
- ½ cup fresh orange juice (the juice of about 2 oranges)
- 3 Tablespoons coconut aminos (sub with soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- ¼ teaspoon sriracha
- 3 scallions chopped (both the white and the green)
- In a medium saucepan combine orange juice, ginger, coconut aminos and sriracha, bring to a simmer. Continue simmering until the chicken is done.
- In a medium frying pan, melt coconut oil. I originally thought 3 tablespoons would be too much so I started with 1 tablespoon and did end up using the 3.
- Continue frying chicken for 7 - 8 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Once the chicken is done, remove from pan with a slotted spoon and add to the simmering liquid mixture.
- Simmer chicken and liquid for 3 - 4 minutes to allow the chicken to absorb the liquid flavors.
- Serve on top of your Paleo Faux "Fried Rice" and sprinkle with chopped scallions.
recipe adapted from this one.