Protein Packed Creamy Vegan Thai Quinoa Salad
I cannot tell you how happy I am to be back in my kitchen after traveling for the past few weeks. While traveling, I was reminded at just how challenging it is to eat clean and healthy on the road. We tried our best to eat as healthy as we could but there are so many hidden ingredients in the simplest of foods.
For example I would have 1 scrambled egg and 2 turkey links for breakfast at Perkins but I’m sure the egg wasn’t just cracked, free range or organic and they may have used non-organic whole milk and salt to mix it in. I can guarantee that the turkey sausage wasn’t organic and was loaded with sodium. That’s just one meal.
First order of business, get our digestive systems back on track. I literally said “I need quinoa in my life right now”. So I whipped up a yummy protein packed creamy vegan thai quinoa salad. Ahhh, life is getting back to normal.
I found this recipe and made a couple adjustments based on what I had in the kitchen and it turned out great. Hearty, filling and VERY dense salad that can be eaten warm or cold.
This salad is super filling and protein filled. 7 grams of protein from the almond butter and 6 grams from the quinoa. 13 grams of protein per 1/4 cup serving + fiber. Yay!!
- 2 cups cooked (1 cup uncooked) quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable broth (to cook quinoa, can use water if you prefer)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- ¾ cup fresh sugar snap peas, sliced into thirds
- ½ chopped mushrooms
- 3 scallions, white and green parts (white parts to mix with quinoa, green parts as garnish)
- ½ cup creamy almond butter
- 3 Tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon chili pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic (I use the jarred kind)
- pinch of salt
- In a medium saucepan, combine quinoa and broth and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a simmer and cover. Set timer for 15 minutes. Stir quinoa every 5 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, chop veggies.
- In a medium microwavable bowl combine dressing ingredients and stir. Place in microwave for 30 seconds. Stir again. It will be thick but will get easier to stir once the hot quinoa meets it.
- In a large bowl combine chopped veggies and cooked quinoa.
- Pour dressing over the warm quinoa and stir and stir and stir until everything is combined.
- Garnish with green parts of the green onions
- Can be enjoyed warm or cold.
- Leftovers keep in the fridge for 2 - 3 days.