Spicy Thai Scallops with Crispy Bacon Brussel Sprouts
I had a craving for scallops recently and wanted something besides rice or pasta to put them on so I cooked up this deliciously rich and spicy dish (this shiz has got some heat to it). I just finished a small plate and I cannot wait until I’m hungry again because it was SO good.
I’m going to do a separate post for the Crispy Bacon Brussel Sprouts. Just click HERE for the recipe.
Let’s just get to the recipe for the scallops because they were so easy. I’ve included some substitutes you can use in the recipe if you want.
- 1 lb. sea or bay scallops, whatever your preference
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (can sub with olive oil)
- 1 tablespoon arrowroot starch/flour (can sub with cornstarch)
- 14 ounces vegetable broth
- 1 - 1½ tablespoons chili sauce (use 1½ if you like a lot of spice)
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter (can sub with almond creamy almond butter)
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- dash of salt and pepper
- **Optional: crushed roasted peanuts**
- In a small bowl combine arrowroot starch, vegetable broth, chili sauce and peanut butter. Whisk until combined and smooth. Set aside.
- In a large skillet heat oil of choice and add scallops.
- Heat scallops on both sides until no longer opaque. Once heated, remove from skillet with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Using the same skillet and whatever liquid is left in the skillet, add diced onions, salt/pepper and garlic. Saute for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Add peanut butter mixture to skillet and bring to a boil and stir for a couple of minutes until the mixture starts to thicken.
- Once thickened up a bit, reduce heat to a simmer and add scallops.
- Cover and simmer for 3 - 5 minutes.
- Serve over bacon brussel sprouts.
- **Optional: top with crushed peanuts**