Sweet Potato Quinoa Mash
I love quinoa and I love sweet potatoes so when I found this recipe on one of my favorite blog sites I wanted to try it. I tweaked it slightly by cooking the quinoa in organic coconut milk instead of plain water just like in my previous quinoa breakfast recipe. I figured this would sweeten the recipe even more and it did. The only hiccup was that in adding the coconut milk, they did not bake up crisp like in the original recipe into patties. So Sweet Potato Quinoa Mash was born and it is SO good.
This side dish is super delicious, full and flavor and very nutritious:
- 1/2 cup of quinoa has 12 grams of protein and 6 grams of fiber
- Each sweet potato has 2 grams protein and 4 grams of fiber
Use organic whenever possible
- 2 medium baked sweet potatoes (skins discarded)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (cooked in coconut milk)
- 2 scallions, chopped fine
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cumin
- ¼ cup olive oil
- In a large bowl, mash the baked sweet potatoes (minus the skins) using a fork. Mash until only small chunks of sweet potato are left.
- After sweet potato is mashed, mix in quinoa, scallions, garlic, salt, red pepper flakes and cumin. Mix thoroughly.
- Once everything is mixed, heat on the stove on low for a few minutes, just to heat up.
- That's it, serve.
Needless to say, this side dish is a great source of protein and fiber. Serve as a side at family dinners or show off and make it for the holidays. Everyone will be asking for the recipe. Best combination possible, delicious and nutritious.