Sweet Potato and Carrot Turkey Chili
Again, I’m thinking about my poor freezing cold family and friends back home in Illinois. But anytime is a good time for chili but none more fitting than when it’s cold outside so I made this super nutritious, low fat chili, PALEO, gluten free and vegan optional chili.
The sweet potato and carrot give this chili a subtle sweetness and combined with the spiciness of the cayenne pepper and other seasoning, makes the tastiest combination. This is not your Dads chili.
This chili is super easy, the only things you precook is the turkey and onion and you can cook them in the same pan. Then you dump everything else in your cooker, add the cooked turkey and onion and set the timer. Done and Yum!
You can easily make this vegan buy replacing the turkey with a cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water or by adding more sweet potato and carrot and an extra can of beans.
- 2 pounds organic ground turkey
- 4 large organic carrots, peeled and chopped small
- 2 large organic sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed (about 1 inch cubes)
- 1 large organic yellow onion diced (about 1½ cups)
- 2 cans organic tomato sauce
- 2 cans organic dark red kidney beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can organic black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1 can fire roasted diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- **Optional: 1 large jalapeno diced (include seeds for more heat, exclude for less heat)**
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add onion and saute until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes)
- Add turkey to the pan and continue cooking until turkey is mostly cooked. It will continue cooking in the slow cooker.
- Combine cooked turkey/onion mixture and all other ingredients in a 6 quart (or larger) slow cooker, stir everything until combined.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
- When the sweet potatoes are soft, it's done.