Buffalo Chicken Quinoa with Broccoli and Blue Cheese
It’s no secret that I love quinoa. Whether it’s for breakfast, lunch, dinner or dessert. It is packed with clean protein and adaptable to any flavors you incorporate into it. This recipe is no different.
This recipe is chock full of buffalo sauce flavor not to mention lots of protein from the chicken and the quinoa. With the broccoli, carrots and cabbage, there is a great dose of veggies in it.
To bring the flavors up a notch, I topped it with some crumbled blue cheese. I always loved buffalo wings with blue cheese dressing so I get the same flavors now but with healthy ingredients and dramatically less fat.
- 1 cup quinoa (I use the pre-rinsed kind)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1 cup shredded cabbage
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ cup blue cheese crumbles
- 4 green onions (the white part) chopped. Reserve the green parts for garnish
- 2 Tablespoon ghee or coconut oil (separated)
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ½ cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- Make the quinoa first. I use the pre-rinsed kind but if yours is not already rinsed, rinse thoroughly and drain before cooking.
- Put 1 cup uncooked quinoa and 2 cups chicken broth in a medium sauce pan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Let cook for 15 minutes or until all of the liquid has been absorbed, stirring every 5 minutes.
- While the quinoa is cooking, in a large skillet heat 1 tablespoon of ghee or coconut oil and add broccoli. Saute on low for 5 minutes, stirring so that it does not burn. You want the broccoli to still be somewhat crunchy, not soggy. Once cooked, set aside.
- Using the same pan, add the other tablespoon ghee or coconut oil and saute chicken on medium heat for 5 - 7 minutes. Turning occasionally so all sides are cooked.
- While the chicken is cooking, mix up the dressing. In a medium bowl combine olive oil, buffalo sauce and seasoned salt. Whisk until mixed thoroughly. Set aside.
- Add broccoli, carrots, cabbage, tomatoes, onions and half of the dressing mixture to the chicken and combine.
- Add quinoa next and the second half of the dressing mixture. Mix everything well and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and cook for 7 - 10 minutes or until the liquid has cooked off.
- Stir in blue cheese crumbles or save them to use as garnish and mix them in one serving at a time.
- Serve on a bed of shredded cabbage or in lettuce cups.