This dish is so nutrient rich. Check this out…it’s vegan, paleo (clean eating), dairy free, chickpeas, carrots, sweet potato, pumpkin, tomato, onion, cauliflower, red bell pepper, coconut milk, spices and water. It’s hoppin’ delicious! You say it can’t be? Oh, it be!
First, chop those veggies. That’s the hardest part. I used by mini food processor for the carrots.
Heat the olive oil and add the onions. Saute for a few minutes, add garlic, saute for another minute. Then add your carrots, red bell pepper, sweet potato, tomato and cauliflower. Stir to combine and then partially cover pan and cook for 8 – 9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Partially covering the pot lets the veggies steam and soften better.
Next, add chickpeas, pumpkin and all of the spices. Combine thoroughly. Then finally add the coconut milk and water, combine with the veggie mixture. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 – 25 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes. You’ll know it’s done once all your veggies are cooked. The longer you let it simmer, the thicker it will get so go by your preference.
I served mine with some cooked wheat berries. Eat it plain or top some quinoa or brown rice or any other ancient grain you prefer.
- *I ALWAYS RECOMMEND USING ORGANIC INGREDIENTS WHENEVER POSSIBLE*
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 - 15 oz. cans garbanzo beans, rinse and drained
- 1 - 14.5 oz. can diced tomato, drained
- 1 - 15 oz. can pumpkin puree
- 1 - 15 oz. can coconut milk (light or full-fat. I used full fat)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup cauliflower florets
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 small/medium sweet potato, peeled and chopped roughly
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Optional: ½ lime
- Start out by chopping all your veggies ahead of time.
- Heat oil in a medium to large saucepan. Add onions and saute for 3 - 4 minutes until onion become soft.
- Add garlic, combine and saute for a minute.
- Add tomatoes, carrots, sweet potato, cauliflower, red bell pepper, stir to combine and let cook partially covered with lid for 8 - 9 minutes, stirring occasionally. Partially covering the veggie mixture allows the veggies to steam lightly.
- Add chickpeas, pumpkin, curry, ginger, salt, pepper, turmeric, cinnamon and cayenne pepper. Stir everything to combine well.
- Add coconut milk and water to the mixture, stir well.
- Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 - 25 minutes depending on how thick you like it. Make sure to stir every at least every 5 minutes.
- Serve with a ½ lime to squeeze onto the dish if desired.
- You can eat this amazing dish just as it or top some quinoa, wheat berries or farro. I had mine over some nice chewy wheat berries.