Sweet and Savory Stir-Fried Baby Eggplant
I was super excited to find miniature eggplants at my local Sprouts store. Baby eggplants, aka Indian eggplants, aren’t as bitter as the large ones and their skins are much thinner so they don’t require prepping to cut the bitterness.
I love eggplant not only for it’s nutritional value (fat free, low calorie, has fiber and even a gram of protein per mini eggplant) but they adapt to whatever spices and seasoning you are using. Not to mention they are paleo, vegetarian and gluten-free,
I didn’t have a recipe in mind when I bought them this time. Kind of like when you buy a pair of shoes and then go searching for the outfit to match. Luckily I found a simple recipe in the True Food cookbook. It turned out way better than I imagined it would. I could seriously eat the whole thing in one sitting.
This recipe is sweet and savory at the same time. The combination of the turmeric, onion, honey and soy sauce is heaven. To ensure the recipe is paleo and gluten free,
I used coconut aminos in place of soy sauce. I always use coconut aminos in place of soy sauce in any recipe. It tastes the same, measures the same and cooks the same. It’s healthier and paleo.
You can top your veggie burger, serve on top of quinoa or brown rice, top a chicken breast or eat alone. You’ll wish you had made a double batch.
- 3 or 4 cups of miniature eggplants sliced into ⅛ to ¼ inch rings (about 1 or 1½ lbs of eggplant)
- 2 cups thinly sliced sweet onion
- 2½ Tablespoons coconut aminos (can sub with soy sauce)
- 1½ Tablespoons raw honey
- 1½ Tablespoons coconut oil (can sub with olive oil)
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- In a small bowl, whisk coconut aminos, honey, turmeric and 2 tablespoons of water. Set aside.
- Heat coconut oil on medium-high heat until hot.
- Once oil is hot, add eggplant and sliced onions. Let veggies sear without stirring for a minute or two.
- Once seared for a minute or two, add half of the turmeric-honey mixture and toss everything with a wooden spatula for 3 - 5 minutes. Add the other half of the turmeric-honey mixture and continue tossing until both eggplant and onion are soft and tender.
- Serve warm as a side or on top of some quinoa, brown rice, a veggie burger or chicken breast.