Crispy Shredded Brussel Sprouts (with optional bacon)
The bacon in this recipe is totally optional. The brussel sprouts are delicious and full of flavor without it so it can easily be made paleo and vegan.
- 3 cups shredded brussel sprouts
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon finely diced onion
- 1 teaspoon coconut palm nectar or coconut palm sugar (can sub with brown sugar but recipe will not be paleo if you use it)
- pinch salt and pepper
- **Optional: 4 slices crispy bacon**
- **If using bacon, cook until crispy then finely chop**
- Chop nubby off of the brussel sprouts and peel off any unattractive leaves. Slice brussel sprouts in half and finely chop until shredded. I used my food processor to shred them but you can do it by hand too.
- In a large skillet heat oil and add onion, garlic, vegetable broth, salt/pepper and coconut palm nectar. Saute for a couple of minutes on medium, stirring making sure everything is combined.
- Stir in brussel sprouts and combine. (If using bacon, add that as well)
- Continue heating on medium to low for about 15 minutes stirring every couple of minutes. The mixture should crisp up and start to brown. Make sure to stir so that it crisps up throughout.
- Serve alone or top with your favorite protein.