Eggplant Parmesan Baked Fries
Earlier this week I was at my local store I picked up an organic eggplant with no specific plans for it. I saw a couple of recipes for eggplant fries and had me cocking my head to the side and saying “huh?” I miss my french fries so of course I WANT to believe in the concept.
This morning I buckled down and decided to give it a go. I originally found this recipe on ClosetCooking.com. I did some tweaking to make them gluten-free (not to be confused with twerking).
My “fry” craving is cured! I loved these. The parmesan gave them the crunch I missed. I especially loved them dipped in the most wonderful condiment ever invented – KETCHUP! I rarely eat anything that goes with ketchup anymore so I was even more giddy making these because I would be able to use my long lost love ketchup.
- 1 medium eggplant
- ½ cup of coconut flour
- 3 large eggs whisked
- 1¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- ⅛ teaspoon cayanne pepper
- dash of salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- You'll need 3 dishes - 1 for the coconut flour, 1 for the whisked eggs, 1 for the combined parm and seasoning (cayenne, italian seasoning, salt/pepper).
- Remove purple skin of eggplant.
- Slice eggplant into round slices then stack the slices and cut into "fries".
- Press each "fry" into the coconut flour so that the flour sticks to the eggplant.
- Roll eggplant "fry" in whisked egg getting the whole "fry" wet.
- Lay in cheese/seasoning mixture covering all sides of the "fry". I found it easiest to lay the eggplant in the cheese and scoop some on top.
- Transfer to parchment paper or foil covered baking sheet.
- Bake for 9 minutes and turn over.
- Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve with ketchup or marinara.
- Yay for "fries"!!