Pumpkin Pie Quinoa Coconut Milk Dessert
A friend of mine posted this recipe and I immediately knew I was going to make it in the very near future. Well, today was that day. I was craving something sweet but healthy. This totally did it for me. I just changed a couple of ingredients but I’m sure the original recipe is just as fantastic.
This sweet filling treat is also dairy free, gluten free, paleo, vegan and has loads of protein. Hullo!! Next variation will be made with cocoa powder so it resembles coco wheats!! Add some strawberries to that and whoa nelly, you’ve got a chocolate covered strawberry superstar!! Sorry, I’m usually one recipe ahead of myself. Back to this delicious recipe….
- The 1/2 cup of pumpkin has 3.5 grams of fiber and 1.5 grams of protein
- The quinoa has 6 grams of fiber and 12 grams of protein. 12!!
- The 2 tablespoons of flax seed has almost 6 grams of fiber and almost 4 grams of protein
Getting excited yet? That’s not even the best part. It’s DUH-LICIOUS!
Plus it’s super easy. You are heating stuff up and stirring it. So exercise your stirring hand and make this deliciously filling healthy treat!
- **USE ORGANIC INGREDIENTS WHENEVER POSSIBLE**
- 1 cup dry quinoa rinsed and drained (I use the pre-rinsed brand)
- 1½ cups coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 Tablespoons flax seed
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon sea salt
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS:
- 1 cup coconut milk (in addition to the 1½ cups listed above)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts
- 2 Tablespoons sweetened or unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 Tablespoons maple syrup (or more if you prefer)
- In a medium saucepan, bring coconut milk and water to a boil.
- Once boiling, add quinoa, pumpkin puree, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and sea salt.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and stir occasionally for about 10 minutes. You want your mixture to thicken up like oatmeal.
- Once mixture is thickened up, remove from heat and stir in flax seed.
- Serve warm.
- I topped mine with coconut milk, sweetened shredded coconut and a drizzle of maple syrup.
Next up is a Chocolate Covered Strawberry Quinoa Dessert. I’m so excited 🙂 Enjoy!