Why I Practice Hot Yoga
Before I started practicing hot yoga I always wanted to try it but was too scared. I didn’t know what to expect. I had only taken a few beginner classes previously, I was overweight, self conscious, didn’t feel strong enough, didn’t know all the poses, what if I couldn’t handle the heat, etc. I’ve come to learn that all of my fears were absolutely normal. I was definitely not the only beginner that felt that way.
A good friend had finally talked me into going to a class with her. I made her promise that I wouldn’t die and turns out she was right. It didn’t take long for me to fall in love with it and love how I felt during and after.
What exactly is hot yoga? Hot yoga is a style of yoga performed in hot and humid conditions. Different types of yoga can be performed such as Bikram, hatha or a flowing vinyasa style. Typically 105 degrees and 40% humidity.
Yoga is for all walks of life. All ages, sizes, shapes and fitness levels. I’ve seen big bellied pregnant women in class, men and women that are 60+ in age, big football player shaped men, etc. Yoga does not discriminate.
When I started my practice I was 70 pounds overweight and not in good shape whatsoever. I couldn’t do a push-up to save my life. My practice has done so much for me. I still have lots to learn and I’m excited about that.
My Top Favorite Things About Hot Yoga (So Far)
- It’s a fantastic workout, I sweat buckets. There isn’t one part of my body or clothes that isn’t drenched in glorious sweat when class is over.
- My skin has never looked better. The heat and the sweating clears my pores and detoxifies my skin.
- I sleep like a rock! On occasion I have trouble sleeping but hot yoga is my remedy. I fall asleep faster and sleep more sound, better than taking any medication.
- What back pain? I used to visit the chiropractor maybe once every week. I haven’t seen her in over a year. Pity, she’s a really nice person.
- I have muscles now. I was goofing around with my husband a couple of days ago and he was like “you have guns now”. Of course I thought he was joking until he had me go flex in the mirror. Hello gun show!
- I’m ubber flexible now. When I first started practicing, I couldn’t touch my toes. Class after class I became more and more flexible.
- “Private Time” with the hubby is way more fun now (sorry for the TMI but it had to be mentioned).
- My anxiety issues have greatly diminished. Yoga helps clear my mind and let go of whatever it is that is weighing on it.
- Improves my digestive track. Yoga massages the organs and in turn helps them to function better.
- That time of the month is so much easier to deal with. My hormones stay in check, I’ve become more regular, cravings aren’t as strong and cramps are much improved.
- I love myself more every day. The sense of accomplishment after completing each class is like giving my a huge hug and high five.
- It has helped me shed close to 70 pounds!
I think those are great reasons to check out hot yoga. All it took was showing up to my first class. If you are thinking about it, do it! At least you can say “I did it” as opposed to “I’ve always wanted to do it”. Check out my article about hot yoga for beginners.