Spaghetti Squash and Zucchini Parmesan Bake
Gluten Free & Vegetarian
This recipe is from an amazing cook book called True Food. This is one of my absolute favorite cookbooks. I followed the directions to a T but ended up adding more zucchini and more onions than called for. I like my meals chock full of veggies.
The steps were very easy. First poke holes in your spaghetti squash and microwave for 10 – 12 minutes, rotating every 3 minutes. When the outside is soft enough to poke a knife easily into, she’s done.
While your squash is cooking, you can caramelize the onions. Easy peazy. Just slice em, heat some oil and saute on medium for about 25 minutes until nice and browned up and soft. I ended up making way more onions than the recipe called so I could use them for other recipes like to top my veggies burgers with.
While your onions are cooking and spaghetti squash is cooling, shred your zucchini. Make sure to squeeze out the water. I use doubled up paper towels and squeeze out the water and repeat 3 times to make sure I got out as much water as possible. Otherwise your bake will come out on the watery side.
- 1 large spaghetti squash
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced thin (about a ½ cup cooked)
- 2 or 3 medium zucchini, shredded and squeezed to remove water
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ¼ cup grated parmasen
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1 - 2 olive oil
- dash salt/pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Poke holes all over the spaghetti squash, place a microwave safe plate and microwave on high for 12 minutes, rotating every 3 minutes. Once done, remove from microwave and let cool before cutting. Once cooled enough to handle, slice in half lengthwise. I find it easier to slice if I cut off the hard knob first. Once sliced, discard seeds and rake the "spaghetti" with a fork. Place "spaghetti" in a large bowl.
- While the squash is cooking, prepare the caramelized onions. In a large pan, heat oil and add sliced onions. Cook on medium/high, stirring frequently for 20 - 25 minutes or until nice and browned.
- While onions are cooking, shred zucchini with skin on. Squeeze out as much water as possible.
- Once onions are done, combine all ingredients except cheese in a large bowl and combine thoroughly. I used my hands to make sure everything was mixed well.
- Place mixture in a greased 9 x 13 baking dish. Bake for 40 - 45 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven and crank it up to broil.
- Once oven is at broil temperature, top mixture with cheese, put back in oven for 2 - 3 minutes (watching carefully) until golden brown.
- Let cool for 5 - 10 minutes before serving as it will be blazing hot.