Baked Chicken in Artichoke Hearts and Spinach – Paleo and Gluten Free
I don’t think I’ve ever liked artichoke hearts as much as I do in the recipe. It took me a really long time to appreciate them just like asparagus. But now like asparagus, I can say I love artichoke hearts.
Artichoke hearts have antioxidants, 9 times more Vitamin C than orange juice or red peppers and 10 grams of soluble fiber per artichoke. Not a bad resume.
Browning the chicken in a pan on the stove prior to baking is totally worth it and I think really makes the recipe go from good to kick ass. I used chicken (bone-in) cut into 8 pieces from Trader Joes. Using a very sharp knife, I removed the skins to make it lower in fat. Use 6 – 8 pieces for a family meal but if its just you and your sweety, 4 pieces will be fine. Just halve the rest of the ingredients.
I also made this same dish with boneless, skinless chicken breast and it came out fantastic too. You’ll prepare everything the same but reduce the baking time by about 5 minutes.
While the chicken is browning on the stove (about 7 – 10 minutes on each side), cut up the onions and carrots. Then once the chicken is browned, remove it to a plate and using the same juices in the pan, saute the onions, carrots, artichokes and garlic. After about 5 minutes, the veggies should be softened up. Now add a bag of fresh baby spinach and once it gets good and wilted, pour everything from your pan into your baking dish and pour the broth over the veggies. Now nestle your chicken pieces in the veggies and broth and bake for 20 – 25 minutes (for bone-in) or 15 – 20 minutes (for boneless). Check to see if its done by slicing into the thickest piece and if there’s no pink, you are good to go.
- 1 tablespoon grass fed butter
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 - 8 bone-in chicken pieces (thighs, chicken breast, legs) OR 2 - 4 pieces of boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cans (14-ounces) quartered artichokes, rinsed and drained
- 1 yellow onion, diced fine
- 1 red onion, diced fine
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped OR 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 bag (6 to 8 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425.
- Heat oil and butter in a large pan.
- Brown chicken for about 7 - 10 minutes each side until nicely browned.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside on a plate.
- Using the same juices saute the onions, carrots, artichokes and garlic for about 5 minutes or until veggies have softened up.
- Add bag of fresh baby spinach to the pan and once it gets good and wilty.
- Put the veggies in large baking dish and pour the broth over the top.
- Nestle your chicken pieces in the veggies and broth and bake for 20 - 25 minutes for bone-in OR 15 - minutes for boneless. Just cut the pieces open to make sure there is no pink before serving. If you need to cook longer than do 5 minute increments at a time so not to overcook.
- Serve warm but it reheats really good.