Whats with Dry Brushing?
Have you heard about dry brushing and wondered what, why and how?
WHAT is Dry Brushing?
Dry skin brushing is a simple and effective way to detox the body and renew the skin.
WHY I dig Dry Brushing!
Your skin is your largest organ so if you treat it right, it will treat you right. The benefits of dry brushing definitely outweigh the effort of dry brushing. Here’s a quick list of the awesome benefits:
- Removes dead skin cells. Especially in the rough and tumble areas like the elbows, knees, back of the heels and ankles.
- Helps the lymphatic system release toxins and boosts circulation.
- By releasing toxins, it helps in digestion and kidney function. The skin is the last organ to receive nutrients but the first organ to show signs of deficiency.
- Opens clogged pores. Most people exfoliate their face on a regular basis but the rest of the body gets no love?
- Strengthens the immune system by encouraging the body to release metabolic waste. We know how important the immune system is right?
- And my favorite benefit of dry brushing is the reduction in appearance of CELLULITE! It promotes tighter skin and a smoother complexion.
In my weight loss journey I’ve had some significant cellulite. I’ve used creams, coffee grinds, rollers, tears, hopes and wishes but nothing worked until I started dry brushing. My cellulite is almost non-existent now. No joke. The more I dry brush, the better my skin looks. So much that I don’t focus on my cellulite any longer.
HOW do you Dry Brush?
Dry Brushing is one of the simplest, quickest and easiest ways to do something great for our bodies largest organ.
I purchased my dry brush at my local big box store for under $10. It came with a long handle attached to the brush. The brush has an elastic band on the back of it. I don’t use the long handle at all. You may need it for the hard to reach areas on your back perhaps. I just slip my hand under the elastic band and go to town. It’s easier for me to reach most places without the long clumsy stick. But for the middle of the back it comes in handy.
Dry brush your body prior to showering or bathing so that you can wash off the toxins and impurities that dry brushing produces. Always use a dry brush on dry skin.
- Starting at your feet in long upward strokes, brush towards your heart working up your legs one at a time, the calves, back of knees and thighs. Just a warning, it may tickle a little at first but you get used to it.
- Continue to work up your body in the direction of your heart including your buttocks.
- Work your lower back upwards as well.
- Next, work from your hands, up your arms to your chest working one arm at a time. Make sure to do your armpits as well as much of your lymph nodes live there.
- For the abdomen, you will brush in a large circle clockwise motion as if you are making huge circles and zeroing in on your belly button.
- For the parts above the heart, you will brush them downward towards the heart center. Start brushing at your collarbone, down your chest towards your heart.
- Follow your dry brushing session with a cleansing shower and follow with a good moisturizer like coconut oil or jojoba oil.
1. Always brush towards the heart.
2. When brushing the abdomen, brush in a clockwise circular motion.
3. It is normal for the skin to turn pink.
4. Don’t brush too hard, you don’t need strength, a light brushing is fine.
5. Avoid skin that is broken or torn.
6. Clean your brush with soap and water afterwards. Matter of fact, take it in the shower with you and clean it so its nice and dry for your next session.
7. Don’t dry brush your face. There are other stimulating techniques for your face.
8. Its best to use long, upward overlapping strokes.
9. The best time to brush is in the morning before your shower.
10. A good dry brushing session should take about 5 minutes.
Your skin is an excellent barometer of your health. Which stands to reason that if you treat it accordingly, it’s better for your overall health. I wish I had started doing this simple quick effective routine sooner.
This is one small change that can make a BIG difference.